Monday, July 20, 2009

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffin Recipe

In honor of blueberry season and cheap blueberries at the grocery store right now, I thought I'd try to find a good, health blueberry muffin recipe this weekend. I succeeded! I found this recipe and modified it a bit for my own tastes. I’m putting my modifications in parentheses so you can see what I did differently that worked.

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

Makes 8 to 10 good size muffins. This recipe is easily doubled.

1/2 cup 1% milk (I used skim and added a little extra at the end to make the batter not so thick)
1 cup oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I used white all-purpose b/c I didn’t have this, you could also probably just use all whole wheat flour and it work fine)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (plus a dash more b/c I really like cinnamon)
1 tablespoon flax seeds
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (plus two more spoonfuls at the end for additional moisture – batter was a little thick)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup frozen blueberries (I used fresh – I think the frozen is just so they stir in the batter easier)
1/2 to 1 cup of chopped nuts (I used ½ cup pecans, but walnuts would be awesome too)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare muffin tins with muffin cup liners. (Unless your oven just heats up really slowly, you may not want to do this first).
2. Prepare the "flax eggs" by first grinding the flax seeds (I used a coffee grinder). Add the water to the ground flax seeds and blend together until it starts to thicken up a bit.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together the "flax eggs", milk, applesauce, vanilla and sugar. In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and gently fold together. Gently stir in the blueberries and nuts. Spoon into muffin tins (you can fill the cups instead of just ¾ full like normal, they don’t rise much) and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Suggested modifications: Make these muffins with your favorite dried chopped fruit instead of the blueberries, and use 3/4 cup or 1 cup of milk instead.

The writer of this recipe said she prefers her muffins drier which is why I added the additional applesauce and milk at the end. Mine were not dry and really I could probably have added even more applesauce/milk to make them even more moist.

Enjoy! With blueberries in season, I will be making a double batch of these again soon and then sticking them in the freezer for a quick and easy breakfast. Yum!

1 comment:

eatme_delicious said...

Yaey I'm happy you, your husband and friends enjoyed them! I think frozen blueberries might add more water/moisture to the muffins so that's part of the reason I had less liquid in there. I imagine fresh was amazing. I find it hard to get fresh blueberries into baked goods though because I love eating them on their own!