Saturday, March 28, 2009

NCAA in Memphis - Go Tarheels!

I came home from work on Wednesday and Michael looked at me with these puppy dog eyes and said, "I found a great deal on tickets to the NCAA South Regional Semi-Finals and Finals in Memphis this weekend...can we go please?" Okay, so maybe it didn't exactly go like that, but basically my husband has been a fan of the Carolina Tarheels since as long as he can remember and he's never been to a game! Until last night that is!
(Just to clarify, I also had never been to an NCAA tournament game but I'm also mainly a fan by marriage...)
We took a half day on Friday and headed down to Memphis for the first game of Syracuse v. Oklahoma. Oklahoma won and then it was time for UNC and Gonzaga! UNC was on fire - it was a great game! And secretly, I'm inwardly relieved just for the sake of Michael. What a letdown if his team lost during his first and only live UNC game. But now, thanks to Roy Williams, Ty Lawson, Tyler Hansbrough and the rest of the UNC team, we get to see not one, but TWO Tarheels games in one weekend!

Tomorrow they play Oklahoma for the South Regional Final and a shot at the Final Four. Game's not till 4pm so it will be late by the time we drive the three hours home...those three hours will go a lot faster if we are rejoicing about UNC's ticket to the Final Four (hint, hint Tyler Hansbrough).

Today though, we had nothing planned except for a relaxing day in Memphis. We went to see the famous Peabody ducks at the Peabody Hotel. I couldn't believe how many people were there just to watch some ducks parade into the lobby and play around in their fountain! But, I guess we were two of those people, so what can I say? Click here for the history of the Peabody Ducks if you don't already know the story.
The picture above is from the roof of the Peabody Hotel. The building behind us is the "penthouse" that the Peabody Ducks live in. Later, we walked around Memphis, checked out Beale St., drove by the Lorraine Motel where MLK, Jr. was killed, and ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the car (it was too windy to eat outside). It's good to have a day with no plans. We all need those sometimes (even if in the depths of my mind I know there are a thousand and one things I could be doing at home...I've intentionally not thought about a single one this weekend!).

I will close this post with a shout out to all my Crump friends...even if you don't read my blog. I saw this sign and it made me think of all you. And of all the times Jayson Rawley would say during Fruit Basket Turnover at CBC, "If your last name rhymes with Shrump..."

No comments: